Monday, September 29, 2008

You broke it, you bought it, this bailout is bullsh*t!

I'm not going to start this post with a feeble "oh, I don't know the politics but I believe in the ideals". Even though it may be true.

I'm small and insignificant. To be honest, I still don't know the ramifications of a $700 billion bailout for "the fat-cats in Wall Street". I'm not even a citizen of this fine nation (not sarcasm) so I fail to see why every little headline should have anything to do with me. Except that they will, and they do. I don't know the details, I admit it. But I know a lot of people are angry. And if I had time to read into this, I'm sure I would be too.

Let's consider this for a minute:

$700 billion could buy a decent computer for everyone in the America...and then some.
It could buy everyone in the world ten years worth of "food" at 3 meals a day.
It could even buy...I don't even know how many...items from this evil cow.
And hey...it can even pay this off.

To my simplistic understanding, aforementioned fat-cats mess something up that I had completely nothing to do with and the magical government, hell-bent on making my college fees increasingly unsupported, is going to fix all of it by randomly generating a HUGE number out of nowhere just so the retards with gray hair, bluetooth headsets and starbucks cups surgically attached to their left hands can continue their very important lifestyles.

I'm aware of the importance of major businesses in my daily life. I'm aware that these major businesses going backrupt is probably not a very good thing. I'm aware that the government has a responsibility to maintain economic stability in a country. I'm also aware, however, that if you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you give that man a net...or something fishing-y...he'll eat for a lifetime. Having thoroughly destroyed that proverb, my point still stands.

As a taxpayer (or at least a child of a tax payer), I deserve a say in what my money is spent on and frankly, I'd rather have 18 million of these.

1 comment:

Ina said...

If you gave me a dollar a second
$700,000,000,000 would last me twenty thousand and a bit years.
We talked about this crazy deal in Financial Literacy today.
Fark.